Welcome to Little Writer (the “Site”). In this Privacy Statement, ‘us’, ‘we’, or ‘our’ means Little Writer Pty Ltd (ACN 619 425 624) (“Little Writer”). Protecting the privacy of all individuals, and particularly children, using Little Writer is a priority for us.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully as it sets out how we collect, store, use and protect your personal information in relation to our service, and any software provided on or in connection with Little Writer (the “Service”). It describes our policy for dealing with personal information that we collect about people related to our business, including our employees, prospective employees and customers in compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Australian Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) (‘the Privacy Act’).
If you are under 18 years of age, please be sure to read this Privacy Statement with a parent or guardian and gain their consent prior to giving us your personal information.
By using the Site, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Little Writer may change, modify, add or remove the terms of this Privacy Statement at any time, and by continuing to use the Site, you accept the terms of the Privacy Statement as it applies, and as amended from time to time without prior notification. Your continued use of the Site after any modification to this Privacy Statement will constitute your acceptance of such modification.
To help ensure a rewarding online experience for our visitors and members, this Privacy Statement details how we safeguard your personal information and our privacy obligations to you in compliance with the Privacy Act. It will give you an understanding of:
- the types of personal information Little Writer collects;
- how Little Writer uses personal information;
- how and when Little Writer collects, uses, stores and otherwise handles personal information;
- the purposes for which Little Writer collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information;
- how we store your personal information and keep it secure;
- how you may access your personal information, and seek correction of your personal information;
- how to seek access to and update your personal information;
- how you may make a complaint, and how Little Writer will deal with any such complaint; and
- how to contact us.
2. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
A. Personal information provided to us directly
Personal information is information that we use to identify you when you register for an account (“Member Account”) on the Site. We may directly collect from child users during our initial registration process, personal information that may include (but is not limited to) a parent’s email address, the child’s account name, age, school, school level and the child’s password.
The Site requires child users to provide a parent’s valid email address in order to register on the Site. We use this information to send the parent a message that can be used to activate the Site account, to notify the parent about our privacy practices, to send the parent communications either about the parent’s and child’s Little Writer accounts or about features of our Site, and for the other purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
The personal information that we collect from you when you interact with us online depends on the tasks you complete on the Site. Profile information that you provide for your Member Account profile allows us to help you or others be “found” on the Site. Your personal information will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected if you don’t give us permission to use it for any other purpose.
We may, with your consent, collect personal information about you or from your parents or authorised representatives for the purpose of providing you with our Service, and services which we think may be of interest to you, or obtaining your feedback. If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may not be able to supply you with our Service.
We collect content that you post to the Service directly, such as photos, comments, and other materials (“User Content”), as well as communications between you and us. For example, we may send you Service-related emails (e.g., account verification, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). You may not opt out of Member Account-related e-mails.
We may also use the personal information we collect, and you consent to us using your personal information:
- for purposes, necessary or incidental to the Service
- for internal operations, such as record keeping, database management, data analytics, auditing or training
- to administer and manage the Service
- to research and develop our Service
- to manage and enhance our Service
- to maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure including testing and upgrading of these systems
- to communicate with you, including by email
- to run cookies on the Site
- to verify your identity, to investigate any complaints about or made by you, or if we have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of our terms and conditions or that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity or as required or permitted by any law or regulation, including the Privacy Act.
By providing personal information to us, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and any other arrangements that apply between us.
B. Cookies, Third-Party Tools and Device Identifiers
Cookies and similar technologies
We use technologies and third-party services on the Site to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features, to provide referral reward benefits and to analyse traffic to the Site, including about how you use and interact with it.
We also share information about your use of the Site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. Third-party cookies may be placed on your device by a service provider to us, for example, to help us understand how our service is being used. Third-party cookies may also be placed on your device by our business partners to advertise products and services to you elsewhere on the Internet.
When you use a mobile device like a tablet or phone to access our Service, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers.” Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Instagram.
A device identifier may deliver information to us or to a third-party partner about how you browse and use the Service and may help us or others provide reports or personalised content and ads. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
3. ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You may contact us in writing to amend, correct, or update the personal information that you have provided to us. We will need to obtain proof of your identity before implementing your request and may refuse to provide you with certain information where permitted or required by law. In certain circumstances, the law permits us to deny access to your personal information if:
- access would pose a serious threat to the life, safety or health of any individual or to public health or public safety;
- access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- access would reveal the intentions of a party in relation to negotiations or prejudice those negotiations;
- access would be unlawful; or
- access may prejudice enforcement activities or a security function.
4. DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
Except for the purposes provided in this Privacy Statement, Little Writer will not disclose the information that it obtains from you to third parties without your express written permission, or where we believe, in good faith, that the law requires us to disclose the information. We may also disclose personal information, and you consent to us disclosing your personal information, to third parties, when:
- they are engaged by us to perform functions or provide the Service on our behalf, such as mailouts, marketing, research and advertising;
- they are our agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners;
- they are authorised by you to receive information held by us; or
- as part of any investigation into you or your activity, for example, if we have reason to suspect that you have committed a breach of any of our terms and conditions, or have otherwise been engaged in any unlawful activity, and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator.
We will disclose your personal information where required to do so by law or subpoena or if we believe that such action is necessary to comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement or to protect the security of or integrity of the Site.
5. DATA SECURITY
We oversee the management of personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Act. We have also taken reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information. We employ appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss, unauthorised disclosure or alteration.
If you decide to purchase anything through the Site, your username, email address, credit card billing information including mailing address will be required at the time of purchase. That information is safeguarded with appropriate security, and it will not be used for other purposes.
You acknowledge that we are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party (including third parties that we are permitted to disclose your personal information to in accordance with this policy or any applicable laws). The collection and use of your information by such third parties may be subject to separate privacy and security policies.
Little Writer provides content and services on a range of platforms with interactive features that you can contribute to. These include: reviews, online rating, blogs, and comments on students’ submissions. You acknowledge that the security of online transactions and the security of communications sent by electronic means or by post cannot be guaranteed. You provide information to us via the Internet or by post at your own risk. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information where the security of information is not within our control.
Please be aware that, despite our best efforts, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your own device. If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, or any other privacy breach please let us know immediately.
6. THIRD PARTY INFORMATION
We may link to or otherwise make available external third-party information on the Site.
Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of third-party sites including sites that are linked to our Site. It is the responsibility of the individual user to make decisions regarding the relevance, accuracy, currency and/or reliability of information found on linked sites.
7. AMENDMENT OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
The information and material contained on the Site is subject to change at any time, without prior notice. If any such changes are made, we will make all reasonable efforts to bring those changes to the attention of our users. An updated version of our Privacy Statement will be maintained on the Site so that you remain aware of the data we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances we disclose it. The new version will become effective on the date it’s posted, which will be listed on the page as the new effective date. We encourage you to check our Site from time to time to view our current statement.
Your use of the Site and its content is at your own risk.
We will take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure but to the maximum extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your information. This includes (but is not limited to) loss or damage you or your clients might suffer as a result of any of the following:
[unordered_list style='circle' number_type='circle_number' animate='no' font_weight='']
- reliance on the completeness, accuracy, suitability or currency of the Site or its content (including third-party material and advertisements on the email or the Site), irrespective of any verifying measures taken by us, as the material on the Site is for general information and interest only,
- failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, failure to correct defects, delay in operation or transmission, virus or other harmful component, loss of data, communication line failure, unlawful third-party conduct, or theft, destruction, alteration or unauthorised access to records,
- accessing any sites or servers maintained by other organisations through links on the Site or any communication from the Site. Links are provided for the convenience of users of the Site only and without responsibility for the content or operation of those sites (unless otherwise stated, linked sites and the Service are not endorsed by Little Writer and your linking to any such site is at your own risk),
- the provision of credit card or other financial information, the failure to complete (or delay in completing) any transaction, or other loss or damage arising from any e-commerce transacted or attempted to be transacted on the Site (if any), or
- defamatory, threatening, offensive or unlawful conduct of third parties or publication of any materials relating to or constituting such conduct.
Although we take all appropriate security measures to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the Internet. Please do not send sensitive or confidential information to us by email as transmission over the Internet cannot be completely guaranteed. We assume no responsibility for any loss of confidentiality or for the security of any information that you transmit to us electronically. We make no warranties or representations, express or implied, that material on the Site does not infringe intellectual property rights of any person anywhere in the world.
9. CONTACTING US AND OPTING OUT
You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at:
Little Writer Pty Ltd
PO Box 383
When you contact us, you can elect whether or not to provide us with personal information other than your e-mail address. The personal information you provide us will only be used for the purpose you disclosed it, for example, for answering your inquiry or for providing information about our Service.
You may seek access to and update the personal information we hold about you. We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. A fee may be charged for providing access, however, we will advise you of the likely cost in advance. We request that you keep your information as current as possible so that we may continue to improve our service to you.
If we use your personal information to market and promote our Service, you may notify us at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing or promotional material by contacting us directly or through the “unsubscribe” mechanism in our marketing or promotional emails.
10. NOTES TO PARENTS AND TEACHERS
Little Writer offers a world of exciting and wonderful new learning opportunities for children. The online protection of children is a shared responsibility between Little Writer, the parent or carer, and the child. Your guidance and involvement are essential to help ensure that children have a safe and rewarding online experience. Your efforts to instill responsible information practices will help steer your children to age-appropriate sites and will go a long way toward ensuring that your children have enriching experiences in content provided online, mobile or on other digital platforms or environments.
We welcome feedback about privacy issues and will attend to all questions and complaints promptly.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about our collection, use or disclosure of personal information. If you would like to seek access to personal information we hold about you, or if you have any questions or complaints about how we collect, use, disclose, manage or store your personal information, you can contact the department that collected your personal information in the first instance, or write to:
Little Writer Pty Ltd
PO Box 383
We will aim to resolve any complaints within 30 days.
If you remain dissatisfied, you may refer your complaint in writing to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at the following address:
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Sydney NSW 2001
Privacy Statement last updated August 2018.